Related article: EMV Reader Status Colors
In this article, we will go over:
Advantages of Using the Vagaro EMV Chip Reader
- One Dip Into Multiple Accounts: Funds can be automatically routed into multiple merchant accounts in one transaction.
- Dip or Swipe: Accept payments in more ways than one.
- Chargeback Protection: Protect your customers' card dipped payments from fraud.
- iOS and Android Compatible: Our EMV reader works with Apple 9.0+ and Android 5.0+ phones and tablets.
- Wireless Connection: EMV reader easily connects to your device with Bluetooth 2.0+.
*Remember, you won't be able to sell and redeem gift cards using the EMV reader. However, you can use the device's camera to scan the barcode.
Using the EMV Reader on a Mobile Device
1. Tap Checkout at the bottom of the screen.
2. Select the customer and as well as the Checkout items.
3. Tap Connect.
4. Select EMV Reader.
5. If you're at a location where multiple Vagaro businesses have an EMV reader, you may see multiple readers that you can pair with. This may be a problem because you could potentially connect to the wrong reader and charge a customer from the other location.
To connect to the correct reader, select the device you want to pair. Then tap Pair at the bottom of the screen. You can find the serial number on the back of the reader you're using.
6. This screen appears if the pair is a success.
7. Once you've selected the customer and added the items to the Checkout screen, tap Pay with Card.
8. Insert the card into the EMV reader to process the payment.
*Remember, the processing of the payment may take longer if there are multiple service providers, who each have their own merchant account for credit card deposits.
9. Have the customer select a Tip option. Tap Split to split the tip if multiple service providers have been added to the Checkout screen.
10. If you selected Split, you can split the tip between the service providers. Enter the amount for each employee.
11. Tap Continue at the bottom of the screen.
12. Tap Next after selecting the tip.
13. Have the customer draw a signature on the screen. Tap Charge Card when you're ready.
Unassigning a Reader
1. Once you connect the chip reader to the device you're using, this assigns the reader to that specific device. When another business attempts to use the reader, they'll see a popup stating that the "Reader is Assigned to the Other Business." This means that the other business must unassign the reader first.
2. To unassign a reader, here's what the other business must do. Tap More at the bottom of the screen from the Vagaro Pro App or mobile device.
3. Select EMV Reader.
4. At the bottom of the screen, tap Unassign Reader to disconnect the reader from the device.
Firmware updates keep your EMV reader compatible and current with new media. To update the Firmware of the chip reader, follow the steps below.
1. Tap More at the bottom of the screen once you log in.
2. You'll see a notification to the right of the EMV Reader option. This indicates that an upgrade is available. Select this option.
3. Tap Install Now.
4. You'll be able to see the progress of the installation.
5. The device will auto-connect and display the updated information once the installation is complete.