*Remember, you won't be able to sell and redeem gift cards using the EMV reader. However, you can use the device's camera to scan the barcode.
Free Chip Readers for New Merchant Accounts Holders
Once you sign up for Vagaro Merchant Services, you're eligible to get a free EMV reader. This deal is only for customers who signed up for credit card processing starting Dec. 6 and have never received a free reader from us.
Click this link to learn more about signing up for credit card processing: How to Sign Up for Credit Card Processing in Vagaro. The chip readers work on an iPhone, iPad, and Android.
Discounted Readers for Current Merchant Accounts Holders
If you've already received a free reader and signed up for a merchant account before Dec. 6, we are offering a reader at a discounted price ($45, plus a $5 shipping cost). Once you send us a request, we will send the reader to an address you specify. The shipment takes about 3 to 5 business days. To send your request, email email@example.com.
Please note, unless you call and provide us with a different credit card to pay for the reader and shipping cost, we will use the current card you have on file.
To learn how to order an additional reader as well as other products and services from our Vagaro store, click this link: How to Get a New Reader, Other Products and Services from the Vagaro Store.
Advantages of Using the Vagaro EMV Chip Reader
- One Dip Into Multiple Accounts: Funds can be automatically routed into multiple merchant accounts in one transaction.
- Dip or Swipe: Accept payments in more ways than one.
- Chargeback Protection: Protect your customers' card dipped payments from fraud.
- iOS and Android Compatible: Our EMV reader works with Apple 9.0+ and Android 5.0+ phones and tablets.
- Wireless Connection: EMV reader easily connects to your device with Bluetooth 2.0+.
As you're using your reader, you'll see multiple status lights on the device. Here's what they all mean.
- A red LED light - the device is starting up or the battery is being charged.
- The red LED light is off - the device is fully charged.
- A flashing red LED light - the device is low in battery.
- A solid blue light - the device has successfully paired with the EMV reader and is ready to accept credit card payments (Bluetooth is connected).
- A blinking blue light - the device has not paired with the EMV reader or it's in sleep mode (the device is in standby mode/waiting to connect with Bluetooth or Bluetooth has been disconnected).
- A blinking blue and white light - the reader is actively trying to send data or you're trying to charge a credit card.
- A flashing red and green light means the reader is powering up.
- First LED flashing light - the device is connecting with the POS terminal.
- 4 LEDs in consecutive order - the credit card was read successfully.
- One "Beep" sound - the transaction has been completed.
- Two "Beep" sounds - there was an error.
How to Use the Vagaro EMV Chip Reader
1. Tap Checkout at the bottom of the screen.
2. Select the customer and as well as the Checkout items.
3. Tap Connect.
4. Select EMV Reader.
5. If you're at a location where another or multiple Vagaro businesses have an EMV reader, you may see multiple readers that you can pair with. This may be a problem because you could potentially connect to the wrong reader and charge a customer from the other location.
To connect to the correct reader, select the device you want to pair. Then tap Pair at the bottom of the screen. You can find the serial number on the back of the reader you're using.
6. This screen appears if the pair was a success.
7. Once you've selected the customer and added the items to the Checkout screen, tap Pay with Card.
8. The customer can select a Tip option. Tap Split to split the tip if multiple service providers have been added to the Checkout screen.
9. If you selected Split, you can split the tip between the service providers. Enter the amount for each employee.
10. Tap Continue at the bottom of the screen.
11. Once the tip is selected, tap Next.
12. The customer can draw a signature on the screen. When you're ready, tap Charge Card.
13. Insert the card into the EMV reader to collect payment. Then you're set!
Unassigning a Reader
1. Once you connect the chip reader to the device you're using, this assigns the reader to that specific device. When another business attempts to use the reader, they'll see a popup stating that the "Reader is Assigned to the Other Business." This means that the other business must unassign the reader first.
2. To unassign a reader, here's what the other business must do. Tap More at the bottom of the screen from the Vagaro Pro App.
3. Select EMV Reader.
4. At the bottom of the screen, tap Unassign Reader to disconnect the reader from the device.
Firmware updates keep your EMV reader compatible and current with new media. To update the Firmware of the chip reader, follow the steps below.
1. Once you log into the account, tap More at the bottom of the screen.
2. You'll see a notification to the right of the EMV Reader option. This indicates that an upgrade is available. Select this option.
3. Tap Install Now.
4. You'll be able to see the progress of the installation.
5. Once the installation is complete, the device will auto connect and display the updated information.