With Vagaro's new automated Employee Rent & Fees feature, you can charge your renters, schedule recurring payments, and even deduct commissions from the rent you collect directly through Vagaro. That means fewer missed, failed, or unnecessary payments.
The Rent & Fees feature is intuitive, free, and gives you options to:
- Set rent amounts for each employee/booth renter
- Set a day of the week for payment, or tie rent payments to your payroll schedule
- Deduct commissions from rent
- Have employees use their bank account (ACH, available in the US only) or credit card for payment
- Set up a backup payment method
- Require signing a rental contract as part of the employee setup
Related article: Employee Rent & Fees – Web Version
This article covers:
- Configure Rent & Fees
- Add Employees
- Employee Profile – Rent & Fees tab
- Collect Failed Rent Payments
- Access Levels for Rent & Fees
Configure Rent & Fees
- Tap More and navigate to Settings > Employees > Rent & Fees.
- Toggle Recurring Rent to On (green).
- You can Deduct Commission from Rent by toggling the switch to On.
With Deduct Commission from Rent on, the system deducts employee commissions from the rent due, and they pay the difference.
Tap OK in the pop-up confirmation dialog.
Setting Deduct Commission from Rent on syncs the rent collection date to your payroll and cannot be changed.
- If you're not using Deduct Commission from Rent, select the day of the week for rent payments to be collected.
- Set the Next Rent Collection Date.
Note: The Next Rent Collection Date defaults to the next available day. If you set the day of the week to Monday ON a Monday, the next date will default to the following Monday. If you set it to Tuesday on a Monday, collection will start the next day.
- Toggle Require Employee Rent Contract to On if you want to have them sign a rental agreement as part of the process.
Vagaro Forms is required to use this feature and has a built-in Rental Contract form for you to use, or you can create your own rental form.
Note: You cannot edit the form on the Vagaro Pro app.
- Select the Payment Method:
- Choose from Bank Account or Credit Card for the Primary Payment Method.
- If you want to require that employees provide a Backup Payment Method, toggle the switch to On.
- Add Employees.
See next section.
- Tap Save.
About Payment Methods
The business must have Vagaro Merchant Services enabled for rent payments.
- ACH transactions from an employee's bank account are only available in the United States
- There is a 1% transaction fee charged for all ACH transactions
- Deposits via ACH can take up to 7 days to reach your account
- For employees using Vagaro Merchant Services (VMS), their VMS bank account information will be used, or they can change it
- The fee for credit card transactions depends on the type of merchant account
- Deposits for credit card transactions take up to 2 days to reach your account
Add Employees to the table on the Rent & Fees page to charge them rent.
- Tap Add Employee.
- Tap Select Employee.
A list of employees not signed up for recurring rent displays. Tap one to select.
- Enter the amount of rent to charge.
- Select Request Employee Completion or Fill Payment Information.
Choosing Request Employee Completion sends an email and a notification to the employee.
If you have the employee with you, you can use Fill Payment Information.
- Tap Save or Send Request.
The Add Employee screen will show the following:
- For Request Employee Completion, that the request will include:
- Primary payment method (bank account or credit card)
- Backup payment method (bank account or credit card) – if configured
- Rent Contract - if required
- For Fill Payment Information:
- Primary payment method to fill in (bank account or credit card)
- Backup payment method to fill in (bank account or credit card) – if configured
- If you require a Rent Contract, the Fill Payment Information screen will show that the contract will be available for the employee to sign in their profile under Rent & Fees.
About Payment Date Timing
If a business sends out a request for information to a service provider, ex. Sep 1, and then the service provider does not fill out the information until Sep 10 and misses the weekly rent payment date of Sep 6. When the service provider fills out their information on Sept 10, they'll also be charged on that day for the missed rent of Sep 6. And after their payment will be taken on the regular rent cycle on Sep 13.
Employee Profile – Rent & Fees tab
With the access level of Manage Own Profile set on, employees can tap the Rent & Fees tab on their profile. On the Rent & Fees tab, employees can also view a table with their rent payment history.
- Tap More and navigate to Settings > Employees > Employee Profiles, and tap the Profile button for an employee.
- Tap the Rent & Fees tab.
The first portion of the screen shows the rent amount, charge frequency, and the next rent collection date.
Note: If you haven't set up a rent option for the employee yet, tap the Charge Recurring Rent button to start the process.
- If the employee has not yet signed their rental contract, it shows as Pending, displaying the entire contract, with a signature box at the end.
If the employee has signed the contract online, the screen displays a hyperlink with the signing date to view the contract with signature.
- Payment Method shows the bank account and credit card information on file for the rent payments (one or both, depending on whether a backup payment method is required.)
There are two ways to remove an employee's credit card or bank information:
- On the Employee Profile / Rent & Fees screen, tap the Remove Payment Method button and confirm on the pop-up box
- On the main Rent & Fees screen, tap an employee and select Remove From Rent
Employee that has completed sign-up
Employee that hasn't finished signing up
Collect Failed Rent Payments
If an employee rent payment fails, the system notifies both the business owner and employee. The business owner receives an email and on-screen notification; the employee receives an email, text, and on-screen notification.
The business owner can collect payment from two screens: Employee Profile > Rent & Fees page (Payment History) or the Rent & Fees report.
The following steps work from both options:
- Tap the failed payment block, and then tap Collect Payment.
- In the Collect Payment pop-up screen, select a new payment method.
You can edit the payment amount if you want to add a fee, for example.
You can use Cash, Check, or enter new credit card information.
- Tap Collect.
The employee can pay the rent due by credit card, either from the notification or email they receive. Both open the Pay by Credit Card pop up.
- Tap Pay by Credit Card in the email or anywhere in the on-screen notification regarding the failed payment.
- Select a saved credit card or enter a new one. (If entering a new credit card, you can also save it to your profile.)
- Tap Pay.
Access Levels for Rent & Fees
For employees to be able to manage the Rent & Fees tab on their Profile, enable Manage Own Profile on the access level for the employee type. To allow others to view and modify rent and fees, give them the Manage Employee Rend & Fees access level.
- Tap More and navigate to Settings > Employees > Access Levels.
- Tap the More menu (3 vertical dots) on the employee type, and tap Edit.
- Scroll down to Settings (the last section) and set Manage Own Profile to Modify.
- To give employees the ability to view or modify rent and fees, scroll to the end of the Settings section and change the settings for Manage Employee Rent & Fees.
- Tap Save.
The following reports now show Employee Rent & Fees:
- Employees / Rent & Fees (new)
- Sales / Transaction List
- Added column and summary screen entry for Bank Account
- Added Transaction Type filter for Rent & Fees
- Sales / Sales Summary
Added rows for Rent & Fees and Deducted Commissions
- Sales / Trends
Added column for Rent Charge
- Sales / Combined Report
- Employees / Payroll
Added column for Rent & Fees
- Employees / Payroll History
Added column for Rent & Fees
To run the new Rent & Fees report:
- Tap More and then navigate to Reports > Rent & Fees.
- The report's date range defaults to the current month to date. Tap Date Range to select different dates.
- Tap the Filters icon ( ).
- Accept the default of All Employees or select individual employees.
- Toggle Only Show Failed Payments to show only those in the report.
- Toggle Include Past Employees on to include past employees in the report.
- Tap Apply to run the report.
The report shows the Payment Date, Employee, Rent Amount, and Status (Paid, Pending Deposit, or Failed.)
Tap anywhere in a payment record to bring up the options of Collect Payment (on Failed payments) and View Details. In View Details, you can see the breakdown of commissions deducted from rent, if applicable.