If the business changes the rent charge frequency, unpaid rent from renters with "Pending Request" status will not be collected. With Vagaro's new automated Employee Rent & Fees feature, you can charge your renters, schedule recurring payments, and even deduct commissions from the rent you collect directly through Vagaro. That means fewer missed, failed, or unnecessary payments.
The Rent & Fees feature is intuitive, free, and gives you options to:
- Set rent amounts for each employee/booth renter
- Set frequency and day of the week to collect rent payments, or tie rent payments to your payroll schedule
- Deduct commissions from rent
- Have employees use their bank account (ACH, available in the US only) or credit card for payment
- Set up a backup payment method
- Require signing a rental contract as part of the employee setup
- Provide 1099-MISC forms to renters
Related article: Charge Booth Renter Fees – Web Version
This article covers:
- Configure Rent & Fees
- Add Renters
- Employee Profile – Rent & Fees tab
- Collect Failed Rent Payments
- Access Levels for Rent & Fees
- Get 1099-MISC Form
Configure Rent & Fees
- Tap More and navigate to Settings > Employees > Rent & Fees.
- Toggle Recurring Rent to On (green).
- You can Deduct Commission from Rent by toggling the switch to On.
With Deduct Commission from Rent on, the system deducts employee commissions from the rent due, and they pay the difference.
Tap OK in the pop-up confirmation dialog.
Setting Deduct Commission from Rent on syncs the rent collection date to your payroll and cannot be changed.
- If you're not using Deduct Commission from Rent, set up the frequency for rent payments to be collected.
Choices for Charge Frequency are:
With Weekly and Every Other Week, you can select the day of the week to process the charge:
With Twice a Month frequency, the renter is charged on the 15th and the last day of the month.
With Monthly frequency, the charge is processed on the last day of each month.
- Set the Next Rent Collection Date.
Available dates depend on which Charge Frequency you've set.
Note: The Next Rent Collection Date defaults to the next available day. If you set the day of the week to Monday ON a Monday, the next date will default to the following Monday. If you set it to Tuesday on a Monday, collection will start the next day.
- Toggle Require Rent Contract to On if you want to have them sign a rental agreement as part of the process.
Vagaro Forms is required to use this feature and has a built-in Rental Contract form for you to use, or you can create your own rental form.
Note: You cannot edit the form on the Vagaro Pro app.
- Select the Payment Method:
- Choose from Bank Account or Credit Card for the Primary Payment Method.
- If you want to require that renters provide a Backup Payment Method, toggle the switch to On.
- Add Renters.
See next section.
- Tap Save.
About Payment Methods
The business must have Vagaro Merchant Services enabled for rent payments.
- ACH transactions from a renter's bank account are only available in the United States
- There is a 1% transaction fee charged for all ACH transactions
- Deposits via ACH can take up to 7 days to reach your account
- For employees using Vagaro Merchant Services (VMS), their VMS bank account information will be used, or they can change it
- The fee for credit card transactions depends on the type of merchant account
- Deposits for credit card transactions take up to 2 days to reach your account
Add Renters to the table on the Rent & Fees page to charge them rent.
- Tap Add Renter.
- Tap Select Renter.
A list of employees not signed up for recurring rent displays. Tap one to select.
- Enter the amount of rent to charge.
- Select Request Renter Completion or Fill Payment Information.
Choosing Request Renter Completion sends an email and a notification to the employee.
If you have the renter with you, you can use Fill Payment Information.
- Tap Save or Send Request.
About Payment Date Timing
If a business sends out a request for information to a service provider, ex. Sep 1, and then the service provider does not fill out the information until Sep 10 and misses the weekly rent payment date of Sep 6. When the service provider fills out their information on Sept 10, they'll also be charged on that day for the missed rent of Sep 6. And after their payment will be taken on the regular rent cycle on Sep 13.
Note: If the business changes the rent charge frequency, unpaid rent from renters with "Pending Request" status will not be collected.
The Add Employee screen will show the following:
- For Request Renter Completion, that the request will include:
- Primary payment method (bank account or credit card)
- Backup payment method (bank account or credit card) – if configured
- Rent Contract - if required
- For Fill Payment Information:
- Primary payment method to fill in (bank account or credit card)
- Backup payment method to fill in (bank account or credit card) – if configured
- If you require a Rent Contract, the Fill Payment Information screen will show that the contract will be available for the renter to sign in their profile under Rent & Fees.
Employee Profile – Rent & Fees tab
With the access level of Manage Own Profile set on, employees can tap the Rent & Fees tab on their profile. On the Rent & Fees tab, employees can also view a table with their rent payment history.
- Tap More and navigate to Settings > Employees > Employee Profiles, and tap the Profile button for an employee.
- Tap the Rent & Fees tab.
The first portion of the screen shows the rent amount, charge frequency, and the next rent collection date.
Note: If you haven't set up a rent option for the renter yet, tap the Charge Recurring Rent button to start the process.
- If the employee has not yet signed their rental contract, it shows as Pending, displaying the entire contract, with a signature box at the end.
If the employee has signed the contract online, the screen displays a hyperlink with the signing date to view the contract with signature.
- Payment Method shows the bank account and credit card information on file for the rent payments (one or both, depending on whether a backup payment method is required.)
To remove a renter's credit card or bank information, On the main Rent & Fees screen, tap a renter and select Remove From Rent.
Renter that has completed sign-up
Renter that hasn't finished signing up
This action completely removes all payment methods and rent charges for the employee. Only their payment history remains. Add the employee to Rent & Fees again to get new payment information.
Collect Failed Rent Payments
If a rent payment fails, the system notifies both the business owner and renter. The business owner receives an email and on-screen notification; the renter receives an email, text, and on-screen notification.
The business owner can collect payment from two screens: Employee Profile > Rent & Fees page (Payment History) or the Rent & Fees report.
The following steps work from both options:
- Tap the failed payment block, and then tap Collect Payment.
- In the Collect Payment pop-up screen, select a new payment method.
You can edit the payment amount if you want to add a fee, for example.
You can use Cash, Check, or enter new credit card information.
- Tap Collect.
The renter can pay the rent due by credit card, either from the notification or email they receive. Both open the Pay by Credit Card pop up.
- Tap Pay by Credit Card in the email or anywhere in the on-screen notification regarding the failed payment.
- Select a saved credit card or enter a new one. (If entering a new credit card, you can also save it to your profile.)
- Tap Pay.
Access Levels for Rent & Fees
For employees to be able to manage the Rent & Fees tab on their Profile, enable Manage Own Profile on the access level for the employee type.
- Tap More and navigate to Settings > Employees > Access Levels.
- Tap the More menu (3 vertical dots) on the employee type, and tap Edit.
- Scroll down to Settings (the last section) and set Manage Own Profile to Modify.
- To give employees the ability to view or modify rent and fees, scroll to the end of the Settings section and change the settings for Manage Employee Rent & Fees.
- Tap Save.
The following reports now show Rent & Fees:
- Employees / Rent & Fees (new)
- Sales / Transaction List
- Added column and summary screen entry for Bank Account
- Added Transaction Type filter for Rent & Fees
- Sales / Sales Summary
Added rows for Rent & Fees and Deducted Commissions
- Sales / Trends
Added column for Rent Charge
- Sales / Combined Report
- Employees / Payroll
Added column for Rent & Fees
- Employees / Payroll History
Added column for Rent & Fees
To run the new Rent & Fees report:
- Tap More and then navigate to Reports > Rent & Fees.
- The report's date range defaults to the current month to date. Tap Date Range to select different dates.
- Tap the Filters icon ( ).
- Accept the default of All Renters or select individual renters.
- Toggle the switches to filter for Successful, Failed, or Pending Payments and to Include Past Renters.
- Tap Apply to run the report.
The report shows the Payment Date, Renter, Rent Amount, and Status (Paid, Pending Deposit, or Failed.)
Tap anywhere in a payment record to bring up the options of Collect Payment (on Failed payments) and View Details. In View Details, you can see the breakdown of commissions deducted from rent, if applicable.
Get 1099-MISC Form
Renters who pay over $600/year in rent will need to download a 1099-MISC to use when filing their tax returns. Businesses also have a version of the 1099-MISC to use when filing taxes.
From Employee Profile Page
For an employee to download their own forms, they must have the Access Levels Manage Own Profile set. Only the Business Owner can view and download all employees' 1099-MISC forms.
- Navigate to More > Settings > Employees > Employee Profiles, and tap the Profile button for an employee.
- Tap the Rent & Fees tab.
- Scroll down to the Payment History section, and select the 1099 tab.
- Tap the [year] Completed button and select View Renter 1099.
You can also edit the 1099 form and view/download the Business's 1099 form from this menu.
- In the preview of the 1099 form, you can print or download a copy of the form. Close the Preview pop-up when you're done.
- There is also a link to Download All 1099s. Use it to download 1099s for all available years, for Renters or Businesses.
From Rent & Fees Page
Only Business Owners can view and download 1099s for all employees from the Rent & Fees page.
- Navigate to Settings > Employees > Rent & Fees.
- Scroll to the end of the page and select the 1099 tab under Renters.
- Tap the button for the year you want.
- Tap the button for an employee and select View Renter 1099.
You can also edit the 1099 form and view/download the Business's 1099 form from this pop-up.
- In the preview of the 1099 form, you can print or download a copy of the form. Close the Preview when you're done.
- Tap the year you want.
- Click Download All 1099s.
- Click Download Renter 1099s or Download Business 1099s.
1099s with missing information will not be included when using the Download All 1099s option.
If an employee has paid under $600/year in rent, there will be no 1099 and the following message will display: