To refund a gift certificate, follow these steps:
1. Click Reports at the top of the screen.
2. Select Transaction List on the left side of the page.
3. Find the customer and the transaction. Click the Action drop-down that corresponds to it on the left side of the screen. Then click Refund.
Click this link to learn how to run a Transaction List report: How to Run a Transaction List Report.
4. Find the item you want to refund on the left side of the screen. Then click the box that corresponds to it under GC Refund.
5. Enter the Refund Amount. Then click Next.
6. Enter how you want to distribute the refund. Click Refund when you're finished.
7. Enter a reason for the refund. Notice you can print or email a copy of the receipt.
8. Click Next.
9. A popup will appear, stating that the gift certificate you're refunding won't be added to your Quickbooks or Xero reports since gift certificates are considered virtual money. Click OK.
10. This screen appears when attempting to refund a gift certificate to a customer who already has one or multiple. Click Add Existing to increase the balance of an existing item. Click Add New to add the balance to a new gift certificate.
11. If you selected Add Existing, select the current item for which you want to increase the balance. Then click Submit.
12. If you selected Add New instead of Add Existing, you'll be able to add the refund amount to a new gift certificate. You can enter or scan the gift certificate number. You can also click AutoGenerate. This will automatically populate a new ID. Click Submit when you are finished.
13. Click OK to confirm the refund.