To refund a credit card transaction, follow the steps below.
Important: Refunds, on average, take about 24 hours to deposit to a customer's bank account.
- Click Reports.
- Select Transaction List, under Sales.
- Find the customer as well as the transaction. Click the Action drop-down for the transaction, and then click Refund.
Click this link to learn how to run a Transaction List report: Transaction List Report - Web Version.
- Find the item that you want to refund. Then click the box that corresponds to it under Credit Refund on the right side of the page.
- Enter the Refund Amount. Then click Next.
- Enter how you want to distribute the Refund Amount. You can distribute it as cash, credit card and/or as a gift certificate. Click Refund when you're finished.
- Enter a reason for the refund. Select Email Receipt to email the receipt to the client. Click Print Receipt to get a paper copy.
- Click Refund.
- The refund is immediately shown on the Transaction List. Click the drop-down. Then select Receipt to print or email a copy to the recipient.
- If you selected Receipt in the previous step, select print to get a paper copy. Click email to email it to the recipient.
The client will receive a copy of the receipt.