*Remember, you won't be able to sell and redeem gift cards using the EMV reader. However, you can use the device's camera to scan the barcode.
Free Chip Readers for New Merchant Accounts Holders
Once you sign up for Vagaro Merchant Services, you're eligible to get a free EMV reader. This deal is only for customers who signed up for credit card processing starting Dec. 6 and have never received a free reader from us.
Click this link to learn more about signing up for credit card processing: How to Sign Up for Credit Card Processing in Vagaro. The chip readers work on an iPhone, iPad, and Android.
Discounted Readers for Current Merchant Accounts Holders
If you've already received a free reader and signed up for a merchant account before Dec. 6, we are offering a reader at a discounted price ($45, plus a $5 shipping cost). Once you send us a request, we will send the reader to an address you specify. The shipment takes about 3 to 5 business days. To send your request, email email@example.com.
Please note, unless you call and provide us with a different credit card to pay for the reader and shipping cost, we will use the current card you have on file.
To learn how to order an additional reader as well as other products and services from our Vagaro store, click this link: How to Get a New Reader, Other Products and Services from the Vagaro Store.
Advantages of Using the Vagaro EMV Chip Reader
- One Dip Into Multiple Accounts: Funds can be automatically routed into multiple merchant accounts in one transaction.
- Dip or Swipe: Accept payments in more ways than one.
- Chargeback Protection: Protect your customers' card dipped payments from fraud.
- iOS and Android Compatible: Our EMV reader works with Apple 9.0+ and Android 5.0+ phones and tablets.
- Wireless Connection: EMV reader easily connects to your device with Bluetooth 2.0+.
*Remember, in order for the EMV reader to function properly, you have to be signed up with the new merchant services platform. If you would like to switch over to the new platform, email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To check out customers using the Vagaro EMV Chip Reader, follow these steps:
- Tap Checkout at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the customer once you get to the Checkout screen. The service or item they are being checked out for appears automatically in their cart.
- Tap Connect.
- Select EMV Reader.
- Tap Pair. A pop-up appears to confirm that the pairing was a success.
- Tap Pay with Card.
As you're using your reader, you'll see multiple status lights on the device. Here's what they all mean.
- A red LED light - the device is starting up or the battery is being charged.
- The red LED light is off - the device is fully charged.
- A flashing red LED light - the device is low in battery.
- A solid blue light - the device has successfully paired with the EMV reader and is ready to accept credit card payments (Bluetooth is connected).
- A blinking blue light - the device has not paired with the EMV reader or it's in sleep mode (the device is in standby mode/waiting to connect with Bluetooth or Bluetooth has been disconnected).
- A blinking blue and white light - the reader is actively trying to send data or you're trying to charge a credit card,
- A flashing red and green light means the reader is powering up.
- First LED flashing light - the device is connecting with POS terminal.
- 4 LEDs in consecutive order - the credit card was read successfully.
- One "Beep" sound - the transaction has been completed.
- Two "Beep" sounds - there was an error.
Remember, if you've already paired your device with one chip reader and you're trying to pair it with another, a popup will appear, enabling you to pair your device with the new reader. This is because you can only pair your device with one reader at a time.
How to Use the Vagaro EMV Chip Reader
1. Tap Checkout at the bottom of the screen.
2. Select the customer and service or item once you get to the Checkout screen.
3. Tap Connect.
4. Select EMV Reader.
5. Tap Pair.
6. This screen appears if the pair was a success.
7. Once you've selected the customer and added the items to the Checkout screen, tap Pay with Card.
8. The customer will be able to select a Tip option. Tap Split to split the tip if multiple service providers have been added to the Checkout screen.
9. If you selected Split, you'll be able to split the tip between the service providers. Enter the amount for each employee.
10. Tap Continue at the bottom of the screen.
11. Once the tip is selected, tap Next.
12. The customer can draw their signature on the screen. When you're ready, tap Charge Card.
13. You'll be able to insert the card into the EMV reader and collect payment.
Firmware updates keep your EMV reader compatible and current with new media. To update the Firmware of your chip reader, follow the steps below.
1. Once you log into your account, tap More at the bottom of the screen.
2. You'll see a notification to the right of the EMV Reader option. This indicates that an upgrade is available. Select this option.
3. Tap Install Now.
4. You'll be able to see the progress of the installation.
5. Once the installation is complete, the device will auto connect and display the updated information.