A gift certificate or gift card is a voucher a customer gives someone as a present. You can configure it to be for a service or a dollar amount and choose from various pre-made templates and designs when creating and selling them to your customers.
Follow the steps below to sell and redeem preprinted gift cards.
- Sell and Redeem Gift Cards - Vagaro Pro app
- Sell and Redeem Gift Certificates - Web Version
- Sell and Redeem Gift Certificates - Vagaro Pro app
- Gift Certificate State Regulations
In this article, we will go over:
- Selling a Gift Card (next)
- Redeeming a Gift Card
Selling Gift Cards
- Go to Checkout and select a customer.
- Select Gift from the option icons along the bottom of the checkout screen.
The Add Gift Certificate screen displays.
- Swipe or scan the Gift Card with a USB card reader or barcode scanner.
The gift card number displays in the Gift Certificate Number
- Fill in the other gift card fields:
- Service/Class: tie this gift certificate to a specific service or class. (Optional)
- Amount: If you don't tie the certificate to a service/class, enter the value.
- Expire on: Select an expiration date using the calendar pop-up, or leave set at Never.
Check your state’s regulations for gift cards and certificates for information and expiration.
- Sender's Name: Will be filled with the selected customer.
- Recipient's Name: Start typing the name of a current customer, and it will fill in. Click New to create a new profile if the person does not have a customer profile.
Note: A customer must have a profile when a gift card is created and issued. The profile must include at least a first and last name.Note: If you do not know the recipient's contact information, create a customer profile of "Gift Certificate" to use. A customer only needs to provide the gift card or certificate number at checkout to redeem it.
- Since this is a gift card, leave Message empty and uncheck both Print Gift Certificate and Send email to: [recipient's name]. There is also no need to select a template, so use whatever it is set for by default.
- Click Next to preview the card.
Click Continue to bypass Email and Print options.
- On the preview screen, click Close to cancel, Back to make changes, or Add Gift Certificate to complete.
- Complete the transaction by entering the payment and clicking Checkout.
Redeeming Gift Cards
- To redeem a gift card, go to Checkout and select a customer.
- Add a service, product, package, or membership.
- Click Add next to Gift Certificate in the payments area.
- Enter the Gift Card number in the Search field, or scan with a USB card or barcode reader.
When the card is found, you’ll see the card number, the recipient’s name, the current balance on the card, and the sale amount pre-filled under How much to use? You can change how much to use if wanted.
Note: If a customer has multiple gift cards or certificates, you’ll see them all listed here. Use the checkboxes to select which one to use.
- Click Redeem GC.
- If there is any remaining payment due, enter it and then click Checkout.